Friday, November 4, 2011

The Column of Randomosity: Seasonal Songs

I wasn’t really sure how to start off this whole column deal, so I guess I’ll start with my name. Hi! I’m Julia Day (yes, as in SaturDAY and SunDAY). I’ve been on the newspaper since my freshman year and I gotta say, I love the paper. I don’t know about you, but writing is a really cathartic thing for me. It helps me express my thoughts in a coherent and organized way…in a way I never really seem to accomplish with speech. If you want me to be completely honest with you, I had no idea which direction I should take this column in. Should I do it purely on movies? TV? Should I focus on music instead? Too many choices. So this column is going to be random. Totally and completely random. Filled to the brim with randomosity (you get the picture). I’m going to write about whatever’s on my mind, so if you want to sit here and read my brain splurges please feel free! And if not, hey, that’s cool too.

Alright. I’m gonna through this idea out to you. So, try to remember the first time you heard a specific song (I’m going to use “Party Rock Anthem” as an example, even though I hate that song with an intense passion). The first time I heard Party Rock Anthem was in my Drivers Ed car this past summer. Now every time I hear Party Rock Anthem, I think “summer”. Right? Don’t you kind of get that? You associate seasons to songs? Ok, maybe you don’t, but I do.

Every few weeks I go on music splurges. I’ll surf Youtube or leave Pandora on for hours trying to find new stuff, and when I hear songs I like I download them and make a playlist. The playlists correspond to the months during which I basically listened to the songs on repeat (so I’ll have a July-August 2011 playlist, or a September-October 2011 playlist). I don’t know, it’s just my thing. “What’s on your playlist this month, Julia???” Well, (insert your name here), I’m so glad you asked! What DO I have on my September 2011, Back to School playlist? Let’s review. I’m going to warn you that I listen to mostly alternative rock (sometimes indie I guess, too) so if you like rap and the stuff they play on the radio…please stop reading now. Seriously. I ramble.

The beginning of the playlist is just a bunch of pretty random songs. “Artistic License” by The Starting Line, “Come Back Home” by Two Door Cinema Club, “Empty House” by Paper Route, “The L-Town Shakedown” by Patent Pending, “Jeremy” by Pearl Jam, “Your Woman” by White Town, “Icky Thump” by The White Stripes, “Teenage Tide” by Letting Up Despite Great Faults and “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster the People. So yeah, pretty random list there. If you guys are looking for new songs, search those up on Youtube because they really are all so great.

Now I’m going to get into some cool bands I’ve been listening to (those were just some random cool songs I found). I was looking on the Wikipedia page of “List of Indie Pop Artists” (I did not search this on my own, my friend sent it to me), and I saw the name of this band called The Fratellis. I recognized the name but I didn’t remember how, so I searched them up and listened to their songs. After hearing a few I was hooked and started downloading like nuts. I’ll mention my favorites by them. “Henrietta”, “Flathead”, “Baby Fratelli” and “Mistress Mabel” are really upbeat, catchy songs if you want to listen to something to boost your mood. “Whistle for the Choir” is a great song, but it’s a little slower. Same goes for “Look Out Sunshine!”. The Fratelli’s most famous song is “Chealsea Dagger” which was featured in an Amstel Light commercial. I’ll be honest, it’s not my favorite by them, but it’s pretty catchy.

Next is the new Red Hot Chili Peppers CD, I’m With You, their first album in six years since Stadium Arcadium in 2006. I was slightly hesitant going in to listen to the album, only because their other albums are just so hard to beat. By the Way was my first RHCP album, and it’s my favorite because of that. “Can’t Stop” and “The Zephyr Song” are just amazing, you can’t top that. Californication is obviously great too, and so is Stadium Arcadium. I’m With You’s first song, “Monarchy of Roses” didn’t sound great to me at first, but the more and more I listened the more it got stuck in my head. It’s a great song to start the album off with. A few of my favorites are “Annie Wants a Baby”, “The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie,” “Meet Me at the Corner”, and “Brendan’s Death Song”. Out of all of them though, I have to say that “Brendan’s Death Song” is my favorite. It may be considered slow by RHCP’s standards, but it’s so melodic and beautiful…I just love it. Overall I liked I’m With You, but it definitely doesn’t beat the classics of By the Way, Californication, and Stadium Arcadium.

So that’s my Back to School playlist. If you’re looking for some new music, I highly suggest you check some of these songs out. They’re not like the stuff you hear on the radio…these songs strike emotions in you, their lyrics are meaningful. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment